Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ochazuke(お茶漬け)

I've gotten over my sickness for the most part, yet that only means it's time to get back to work and catch up with the world from the downtime. Not much, but enough to make me busy.

In that regard, I decided on something quick and rather homey for a late dinner and stomache still not entirely sure it's ready for something more. That is, I decided it was a good time for some ochazuke and, why not?, tea.

Shoveling some rice into one of those square bowels you'll have to get used to seeing, I tossed in some scallions,
tofu, yasai fumi furikake(veggie rice seasoning), enoki mushrooms, nori, garlic, and a mixture of a few spices I'm fond of.

From there I brewed up some of Maeda-en's genmaicha, poured it on in, and stirred it all up in that adult and mature way I liked to eat. That is, as messy as possible.

Just the tiniest bit of Korean, or any type you like, soy sauce and it's perfection. Hot, tasty, and the just thing to settle my stomache while getting in a filling meal.

What is more or less tea/rice soup aside, what about the cup? For the moment, I'm going back to a tea I first tasted via TeaChat's OTTI #7: Asamushi Sencha. That is, Den's Tea's Shin-ryoku.

At the time I rated it third of the five asamushi sencha we were given to play with, below two offerings from Maiko though still really enjoyable.

It's got this nice grassy quality to it and once you hit the third steep or so it becomes, in my experience, quite fabulously sweet. If you're into asamushi sencha and want something from a US-based dealer, I'd recommend it.

For the kyusu? A freebie from Den's Tea. First time I used it with their Fuka Maroni and it got really stopped up making the pour a bit of a pain and lead my mind to pulling a 'well, no wonder it was a 'free gift' deal'. Though this time around it seems to be working perfectly fine and makes a might lovely cup of the Shin-ryoku.

Still gotta wonder what happened that first time. I blame the fuka.

No comments:

Post a Comment