Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Breakfast Miso

I've been busier than expected, one thing keeping me on my toes is my trying to change a few things with how I eat(mainly to account for the extra exercise I put in with the weather growing warmer). One of these things is making sure I eat something for breakfast, a meal I'm sorry to admit I tend to skip.

That said, I've adopted a matcha, miso, and fruit(and if I'm still hungry some rice from the steamer) breakfast habit.

I've already covered matcha and I'm pretty sure fruit is self-explanatory, so that leaves the miso.

Miso is both pretty simple and offers a wide variety of options to taste. Personally, I'm a fan of shiro(white). It tends to be sweet and light. Others prefer aka(red) which is a little heavier and salty. Others still will swap or mix the two according to taste or prefer any other number of varieties miso comes in.

Miso paste, like anything really, can be made at home, though I just buy mine in a small resealable carton(it's also, more often, sold in pouches. Either way, between use store sealed and refrigerated) from the local shop. Also, while more known for it's use as a soup base, it can be used as a seasoning for any number of dishes. Explore with it.

That said, for soup, boil about one and a half to two cups of water with your choice of ingredients for the day* for about five minutes. After that remove it from the heat and allow it to cool, once the water is low enough it doesn't scold without being too chilly, mix 1 Tbsp miso paste per cup of water.

*Some ingredient suggestions(mix and match according to your tastes, I tend to go for around three for morning soup): Dried wakame, cubed tofu, diced scallions, chopped carrots, cubed potatoes, shiitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, garlic, ginger, bok choy, grilled onions, grated daikon

Pour into a bowl, grab a spoon(or chopsticks, drink the soup right out of the bowl and use the chopsticks for the solid ingredients) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment