Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Box o' Kimchi

Tonight I've decided it's time to make more kimchi. In that regard, it's also time to get rid of the last of the last batch. So, bento to the rescue!

Nothing fancy as far as presentation goes, just my favorite rabbit box with kimchi bokkeumbap, kimchi mandu, a few small slices of cucumber, kimchi over white rice, and a small thing of soy sauce to splash over the mandu(when something includes kimchi I tend to use the Korean name for it, just wouldn't feel right not to).

All really quick and tasty. For kimchi bokkeumbap, aka kimchi fried rice, just take a large frying pan/wok, sprinkle some vegetable oil in and set on medium-high heat. While it gets up in temperature, mince one or two cloves of garlic and add it to the oil. Once the garlic starts to sizzle, add about a cup of kimchi and, optional, some chopped scallions and matchstick carrots/daikon.

Cook the kimchi for a few minutes, less than ten, more than two, then add in one to two cups of cooked white rice. Fry them together, using a spatula to fold the kimchi into the rice, until the rice starts to brown. Serve as is, tasty.

Kimchi mandu is, basically, mandu made with finely chopped kimchi as the filling.

As for how to make kimchi itself? I might take some pictures tonight to share, though I'm not sure I'm ready to post a how-to. I've made it many times though change it a little each time, trying to make it my kimchi. Though I do feel I should note that, as far as this blog goes, unless I say otherwise, it should be assumed that when I refer to kimchi I'm talking about napa cabbage kimchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment